And yogurt sticks to them, too.
Anyhow. Much the way the week after Christmas abounds with turkey sandwiches, turkey a la king, and turkey soup, this week has been ‘ham week’. We have had a freezer full of it since Easter, and it is time for it to GO. But instead of attempting variety with a mix of recipes (because who needs variety?), we’ve been eating just one recipe.
(And lots of yogurt.)
The mix has, at various points during the week, included nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon, water chestnuts and asparagus; not to mention the black beans that keep jumping in and out of the dish.
At one point I had 8 bowls spread out on the counter, four quinoa and four couscous, and various spice combinations. And in the end, ζach and I couldn’t agree on the best spice blend, so I’m going to provide both: you decide .
|Sweet & Savoury Ham & Mango Salad with Quinoa||
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cups water
- 2 atauflo mangoes, diced
- 2 cups black beans
- 10 oz ham, diced
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- optional: 1/2 teaspoon each of curry and cinnamon
- Bring the water to a boil. Add the quinoa and simmer, covered for 15 minutes, then let sit for another 5 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients together gently, being careful to distribute the spices evenly.
- Chill for at least an hour before serving
This recipe is my contribution to this week’s #SundaySupper. This week’s theme is Memorial Day recipes, and although we don’t celebrate it up here, I figured this made a good bet for picnics and large gatherings. Check out some of the other items on this week’s menu:
- Creamy Bacon and Avocado Pasta Salad by Daily Dish Recipes
- Sweet and Savory Ham and Mango Salad by Rambling Notebook
- Summer Pasta Salad with Lemon Lime Dressing by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Soba Noodles with Swiss Chard and Mushrooms by Soni’s Food for Thought
- Malaysian Pickled Vegetables by Cookistry
- Wedge Salad & Homemade blue Cheese Dressing by In the Kitchen with KP
- Grilled Cesar Salad with Homemade Caesar Dressing by The Messy Baker
From the Grill:
- Grilled Balsamic Pork Kebobs by Momma’s Meals
- Grilled Chicken Lettuce Wraps by That Skinny Chick
- Grilled Shrimp Po Boys with Radicchio Slaw Pescetarian Journal
- Bourbon Soy Sauce Pork Chops and Tilapia Family Foodie
- Green Chile Bacon Cheeseburgers by Damn Delicious
- Kalua Pulled Pork by Juanita’s Cocina
- Mocha Latte and Chocolate Hazelnut Pudding Cups by Mrs. Mama Hen
- Ice Cream Pie by Make Dinner Easy
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream Rice Crispy Treats by Chocolate Moosey
- Lite Mango Coconut Ice Cream with Berry Ginger Topping by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Stars and Stripes Pound Cake by Big Bear’s Wife
- Chocolate Lava Cake Cositas Bonitas
- Mango cardamom Cupcakes Beetle’s Kitchen
- Watermelon Muffins The Meltaways
- Mango Swirl Cheesecake Baker Street
Our recipes will be perfectly paired by Wine Everyday